Update: Three Kids Taken to Hospital after Fire in Greenbriar Condominiums

Unattended cooking on the stove caused a fire, sending three siblings to the hospital to be evaluated for possible smoke inhalation on Thursday morning, according to the Prince George's Fire Department.

Update, 1:35 p.m.: A fifteen-year old boy was babysitting his two sisters when unattended cooking on the stove started a fire in the Greenbelt condominium they were in this morning, according  to Mark Brady, Prince George's Fire/EMS spokesman.

The fire loss is estimated at $40,000 and only the apartment of origin is deemed unfit, according to the Prince George's County Fire/EMS blog. Complex management will assist the displaced family, the blog states.

Original Post, 10:52 a.m.: Unattended cooking started a fire at 8:15 a.m. at 7814 Hanover Parkway on Thursday, sending three people to the hospital to be evaluated for possible smoke inhalation, according to Mark Brady, Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department spokesman.

The fire started at the stove, extended to nearby combustible materials, then extended throughout the kitchen, Brady said.

It took firefighters about 10 minutes to extinguish the fire, which occurred in a top floor unit in Greenbelt, MD, Brady reported. Corzann Sailor, assistant community manager with Greenbriar Condominiums, confirmed the unit was one of its condominiums.

The three people taken to the hospital for evaluation were all in good condition, Brady reported. Brady said unattended cooking is the leading cause of fire and fire related injuries, not only in Prince George's County but across the country.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »