A deadly fire in Glenarden, MD—just eight miles outside of Greenbelt's city limit—claimed the life of one man and two children Thursday morning and injured three others, according to Prince George's County's fire department.
County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor reminded residents Thursday about the need of smoke alarms, after fire investigators discovered no smoke alarms were present in the Glenarden home on Leslie Avenue.
"I could not be prouder of our men and women, volunteer and career, who work hard every day and who, once again, this morning showed that valiant courage that lies within us all," Bashoor said in a note, which was forwarded to Patch by the county's branch of the NAACP.
"It is tragic to report that no smoke alarms have been found at the scene of the fatal fire on Leslie Avenue. We MUST constantly remind our communities that smoke alarms provide that first line of defense for early notification and survival."
Bashoor asked each resident to go home and check their smoke alarms, replace the batteries if necessary or install an alarm if they don't have one. He also asked residents to check their neighbors' homes and remind family members as well.
Any Prince George's County resident can obtain a free smoke alarm by calling 301-864-SAFE (7233).
Greenbelt residents can also stop by their local fire house for a free smoke alarm as well. The Greenbelt Volunteer Fire Department is at 125 Crescent Road.