ADOPT A FRIEND
Raven is such a wonderful dog with such a very sad history. This sweetie pie was surrendered to the County facility and that’s probably a good thing because the way she was treated is nothing anyone should be proud of. She was kept outside most of the time. When she was allowed inside she was put in a crate and beaten when she did not do what was instructed. In spite of her treatment by humans, this wonderful pup still believes in humans and is willing to give her heart away for just a little love in return. Raven is our pet of the week and deserves a very special home.
COUNTY ID # : A380183
AGE: 2 years old
GENDER: Gorgeous spayed female
BREED: Labrador Retriever mix
WEIGHT: Slim and trim
COLOR: Black with white markings on her chest and neck
HOBBIES: Hanging out with humans
PERSONALITY: Raven is shy but loves people. She would do best in a quiet household and needs to learn people won’t hurt her. Could do well with older children and some dogs.
If you or anyone you know is interested in adopting the wonderful pet featured this week, please call the Prince George's Animals Management Facility in Upper Marlboro at 301-780-7201 to check on the availability. You may also visit www.pgamd.petfinder.com or www.petharbor.com to see many more precious pets that are available for adoption.
ASK FOR RAVEN ID # A380183
TIP OF THE WEEK
Christmas Dangers For Pets (PART 1 OF 2)
The Christmas season should be a happy time of year; but holiday plants, ribbons and tinsel, the Christmas tree, and rich food could spell disaster for your pets.
There are a few popular holiday plants to be careful with during the Christmas season. These plants include but are not limited too: poinsettia, mistletoe, and holly. If your pet comes into contact with these plants it is better to play it safe and call your veterinarian. Many plants cause vomiting and diarrhea; these symptoms might be avoided if treatment for toxicity is started immediately.
Christmas Tree –
Many families include a Christmas tree as part of their holiday decorations. Some dogs and cats like to drink the tree water; the water itself is not poisonous, but if a fertilizer was added to the water it may be poisonous. This fertilizer may cause the pet to suffer with diarrhea and vomiting. It is better to try to prevent the pets
from drinking tree water by keeping it covered.
Many cats love to climb the Christmas tree. This by itself is not really dangerous, unless the tree is knocked over, then the cat could withstand a traumatic injury. There is no sure fire way to keep cats from climbing except to keep them separated from the tree, unless supervised.
Ornaments and lights
Ornaments and lights are also commonly chewed and/or ingested by dogs and cats. This can become very dangerous especially if the pet is electrocuted or develops a GI foreign body. A foreign body usually requires surgery to remove it; this is a traumatic surgery that not all pets survive. Also, glass ornaments and lights commonly leave cuts and lacerations in the mouth if chewed.
Watch for part 2 of 2 coming next week