Greenbelt Police Advise Residents to Protect Against Identity Theft
Six steps from the Greenbelt Police to help you protect your identity.
The Greenbelt Police Department offers the following advice on how residents can protect themselves from identity theft, which it states continues to be one of the fastest growing crimes in America. It affects half a million new victims every year, police warn.
Greenbelt Police recommend these protective actions:
- Do not give out personal information over the phone, through the mail or over the Internet, unless you are sure who is receiving the information.
- Do not use your credit card number on the Internet unless it is on a secure site.
- Shred all documents, including pre-approved credit applications, insurance forms, bank checks, and other financial information.
- Minimize the identification information and the number of credit cards you carry. Only take what you will actually need.
- Pay attention to your billing cycles and check your statements often for fraudulent charges.
- Check your credit report at least twice a year. Reports should be obtained from all three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.