Candle Sets Fire to Greenbelt Home
Investigators say a house fire at 53 Ridge Road on Wednesday was caused by a candle, according to Greenbelt official.
Investigators found a home in Greenbelt caught on fire after a candle fell onto the floor of a second-story bedroom Wednesday night displacing the woman who lived there, according to Assistant Chief Christopher Ransom of the Greenbelt Volunteer Fire Department.
The fire in a middle unit on 53 Court of Ridge Road started at around 7:30 p.m. and the crew showed up quickly, Ransom said. Staffed with all volunteers, he said they did what they were trained to do—put the fire out and cleared the smoke in 3 to 5 minutes.
The woman was inside when the fire occurred and was treated on the scene for anxiety, he said. The house is going to need renovations after the smoke and water damage, according to Ransom.
Most of the damage was in the back bedroom area.